Thursday 22 June 2017

New Dealer: Cupio Gallery

Cupio Gallery recently opened within Alfies, located within the hub of design that is the First Floor Mezzanine. Born out of a personal passion for design, you can expect to see a variety of Italian mid-century pieces from this dealer. We spoke with founder Matthew Moreton to find out a little more.


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
In short, a forty-something singleton residing in Primrose Hill with the obligatory canine!

How did you become a dealer?
After a long-time passion for all things Italian (gelato included!) my interest in 1940s/1950s Italian design began. After many, extensive visits in and around Italy and Europe, I very quickly found myself craving the designs of Fornasetti, Ponti, Borsani et al - often struggling to bring my impulse purchases back home with me to Blighty! When an opportunity arose to have a showroom space here at Alfies, I seized it, sought a good shipper, and set about to satisfy my own retail impulses whilst helping others find their perfect pieces along the way.

How would you describe your stock?
An eclectic and refined selection of 20th century furniture, lighting and glass design which is predominantly sourced from Italy and Continental Europe. From the understated elegance of the 1930s, through to the flamboyant glamour of the 1970s, our hope is to source stylish and beautiful items that are both original and unique.

Do you have any personal favourites in your collection?
I’m loving the Fontana Arte ‘1462’ pendant that we currently hold. It was designed by Max Ingrand who was Fontana Arte’s artistic director for ten years. The simplicity of its design in conjunction with the use of high quality materials make this a special piece.

What piece would you love to find?
I’d love to have one of the large vintage ‘Eros’ dining tables in Carrara marble. Designed by Angelo Mangiarotti in 1971, the simple ‘gravity’ joint design for the legs looks completely unfussy, allowing the beauty of the marble itself to take center stage. I will have to save my pennies!

Do you collect anything?
I try not to as it can become an expensive past-time, however, I can’t seem to stop buying Murano glass picture frames. I particularly love the earlier ones from the 1940s by companies such as Venini and Barovier - this really was glass production at its best.

Do you have a favourite place to visit in London?
I love London and there are so many wonderful places vying for my attention - the Sir John Soane’s Museum, cakes at Ottolenghi, lunch at Cecconi’s and the Columbia Road Flower Market are just a few of my favourite haunts. For me, however, there’s nothing better than a simple stroll through one of the Royal Parks, we’re so fortunate to have these large green spaces in the middle of our city - a great place to unwind.

A Murano glass vase, Italy, c1950


A Murano clear glass frame, Italy, c1940


A pair of mirrored glass vide poche, Italy, c1970


A Fornasetti lacquered, metal tray with transfers of Greek mythological figures/constellation motifs in gold-leaf, c1950.

Bitossi ‘Rimini Blu’ vase, c.1980. A limited edition 'Rimini Blu' vase from Bitossi and Sons, numbered 127/199, Italy, c1980.


A Venini ’filigrana’ frame, Italy, c1940.

Cupio Gallery | First Floor Mezzanine | 07845 878 088 | hello@cupiogallery.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...